[Coco] ack!

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jun 2 20:49:19 EDT 2013

On Sunday 02 June 2013 20:41:33 Steven Hirsch did opine:

> On Sun, 2 Jun 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> I updated to the lwtools branch (thanks to all who clarified that
> >> issue). It builds without errors here on Ubuntu 10.04.  That said,
> >> there's something unpleasantly familiar about extraneous '-e' flags
> >> causing a problem.  Seems like I've been down this road.
> >>
> >> To ensure it's not basic environmental settings, can you try building
> >> using this little script (run in the root directory of the sources):
> >>
> >> --------------- cut here ----------------
> >> #!/bin/bash
> >>
> >> export NITROS9DIR=`pwd`
> >>
> >> make $@
> >> --------------- cut here ---------------
> >
> > Thanks Stephen, but I expanded it some:
> > #!/bin/bash
> > export NITROS9DIR=`pwd`
> > make clean dskclean
> > make $@
> > make dsk
> >
> > There were a few failures went by, pac09 was one I noted, but nothing
> > was built in the level3 tree.
>
> Ok, I didn't grasp that you were seeing the failures in the level3
> subdirectories.  I thought it was a general problem.
>
> It looks like no one ever updated any of the makefiles under level3 to
> work with lwtools.  I can see where that -e is coming from now.  For
> laughs, I started copying over the level2 makefiles to replace a number
> of the offenders.  It gets a heck of lot further now.  There are still
> errors, but of a totally different nature. What I'm seeing now is
> likely due to missing include paths (I wouldn't expect the makefiles
> from level2 to be a drop in).
>
> I'll keep chipping at this as time permits (and it doesn't permit much
> nowadays).
>
> If you want to hammer at it, start comparing the level2 and level3
> subtrees in terms of their makefiles.  You will see where the top-level
> makefile (level3 directory itself) is missing and others were never
> changed.
>
> Steve

I've been working on that for about 3 hours now, and like you I am getting
farther, but not far enough to count.  I've had to steal the makefiles from
other defs dirs (and update the level's) to update for the renamed defs.d
stuffs, but I'm about burned out for the night.  I am still seeing errors
with fingers pointed at both reboot, and freboot, right near the top of the
build.sh output.  And I recall building the original reboot util out of the
Rainbow 20 years ago, and the reboot.asm I am see now bears virtually no
resemblance to that one, somebody has been plugging in all sorts of bells &
whistles.

Anyway, I need to go tend to my shop building, and the washer/dryer for 2
or 3 more cycles, or join a nudist colony...

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
		-- Mark Twain
         law-abiding citizens.