[Coco] ack!

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Jun 2 13:07:13 EDT 2013

Wayne, the only person I know that has tinkered with level 3 is Gene Heskett. He was recently trying to get it to boot but ran into problems trying to get drivewire drivers in the mix. It seems there has to be a seperation of rbf and scf and dw crosses the line and uses both from one driver. Level 3 doesn't seem to like this. Nitros9 without DW (for most) would be devistating. Also, ioman, clock and os9p1 (krnp1) were modified for Level 3. When those mods were made, NitrOS9 was at version 1.22. Now at 3.29, someone would have to diasseble those old 1.22 files and compare them to the current sources and alter them accordingly. Clock for one has since been split into 2 modules and would have to be examined to see what changes would be needed. According to the level 3 docs, ioman was patched to redirect the startup code to the "nitros9" module so it could move all files to the seperate areas before anything was initiated. Os9p1 suffers the same fate.
I messed with disassembling them a bit and they are not overly large files it's just that they are in 6309 code and the disassemblers I have for 6309 are iffy (meaning I didn't read the docs)
I would love to work with this system if we could get the modules up to date. According to Alan's notes, it was 101% backwards compatable and would run all OS-9 software without modification.
NitrOS9 level 2 version 1.22m that was used for Level 3 is still available (with sources), there's just no sources for the modules that were changed. Now this should be a bottable system, but DW would probably not run at all without modification. There have been TONS of bug fixes since then and Nitros9 is definately more stable than it was at 1.22.

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com