[Coco] SuperIDE backup/restore

Retro Canada retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 21:21:11 EDT 2013

looks like the cf ide firmware plays dirty when there is a partition on it. superide relays on sector count only, while the pc could use head cylinder geometry.

my very own experience since i recently purchased a cf card: i tried everything and it wasn't working until i reformated and deleted  all partitions in linux then write to the device since there is no partition with sudo dd of=/dev/sdb

On 2013-07-28, at 8:05 PM, Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au> wrote:

On 29/07/2013 7:19 AM, Retro Canada wrote:

> I can generate a MD5 has of the actual CF card and the extracted image,
> and they match. That tells me that I do not have to do a byte-by-byre
> comparison, as the image is an exact copy of the card.

Well, technically it actually means there is a very, very good chance that they're identical... ;)

> Everything works correctly, when I am using the Cloud9 distribution card
> and doesn't work when using the new CF card

I would ask Mark to send you another CF that is *identical* (including read/write multiple sector size) and see if you can duplicate your image successfully on that card.

Otherwise, there really should be no reason why you're having all these issues. I've worked with FPGA-based IDE controllers and CF cards and never had the issues you're seeing. The only possibility I can think of is some idiosyncrasy in the SuperIDE firmware that doesn't play nicely with all cards - but then again I'd wonder why other SuperIDE users haven't reported issues to Mark?!? Maybe you have hardware issues with your SuperIDE if Mark has successfully tested some of your cards?

Regards,