[Coco] 248 errors in NitrOS-9 repository

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Jul 23 16:38:09 EDT 2013

Tormod Volden wrote:

> This was a tricky one, especially since it was intermittent. I never
> saw this error on Linux, and not on Windows/MingW either. However,
> today I was able to reproduce it on MingW, so I did it the painful,
> systematic way: First I built up the disk images step by step on both
> Windows and Linux so that I could establish that a disk image built on
> either would fail on "os9 copy" (the one with the many files) on
> Windows only. Then I stepped through the copy routines on both
> platforms and saw that at one point the disk image was recognized as a
> DECB disk on Windows and as the expected OS9 disk on Linux. It boiled
> down to a classic porting-to-Windows issue: Windows has the concept of
> text versus binary files, where on the former linefeed translations
> and end-of-file (ctrl-Z?) characters can come into play. Maybe a time
> stamp containing a ctrl-Z caused a premature end-of-file when reading
> in the sectors from the disk image.
>
> I have fixed this in toolshed hg, and also updated the Windows binary
> snapshots at http://toolshed.sourceforge.net/snapshots/
>
> Tormod

Tormod,

I've added your updates and recompiled os9.exe. It does not correct the 248
errors I'm seeing. :(

You changed libcocoopen.c but I think that is for decb.exe. I think the
correction you need is in librbf on librbfopen.c as that is used by os9.exe.
I could be very wrong as I'm not that good with the Toolshed language. :)

Robert