[Coco] continuing to eliminate errors in the nitros9 build

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jul 18 18:41:49 EDT 2013

On Thursday 18 July 2013 18:28:38 Bob Devries did opine:

> Hi Gene,
>
> I have eliminated the error 248 problem with the d64 and tano
> single-sided disks. It may be unconventional, but it works:
>
> in file /nitros9/level1/d64/makefile
>
> under $(DSK180K_1):
>
> change:
>
> $(OS9FORMAT_SS40) -e -dr -q $@ -n"NitrOS-9/6809/Dragon Level 1 Disk1"
>
> to:
>
> $(OS9FORMAT_SS40) -sa=2 -e -dr -q $@ -n"NitrOS-9/6809/Dragon Level 1
> Disk1"
>
> I know that the lesser SAS could cause fragmentation, but this is not
> applied to the device descriptor, just the disk. It will likely cause
> problems for anyone using DSAVE to make a copy of the files onto another
> disk; better to use BACKUP.
>
> Comments?
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia

Using a smaller SAS means you run out of FD.SEG's faster, and could run out
of FD.SEG's before the disk is full.

With a SAS=2, one FD.SEG entry in the FD is only 512 bytes, and there are
only 48 of them in the file descriptor, so the absolute file size for any
one file is just 24,576 bytes.  Now, what does that do to the FD.SEG for
the os9boot file?  I don't think it will be pretty.

I think I'd try at 4, which would give you 2x that for safe file sizes

As for that wanting to trash a disk, it should be perfectly legal for
almost anything but the bootfile, usually bigger than that.  If not, we
have a bug.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
You are in a maze of UUCP connections, all alike.
         law-abiding citizens.