[Coco] OT Re: Raspberry Pi

farna at amc-mag.com farna at amc-mag.com
Wed Jul 17 15:29:18 EDT 2013

I think everyone gave you a good general view of the RPi. It's been used
as a streaming media player (just does do HD TV) and many other things.
CoCo-wise it's a great compact Drivewire server with a large SD card or
portable HD. You could mount the RPi and a 3.5" HD in a single height CoCo
drive case. Chris Hawks put a CoCo emulator on one. You could replace the
CoCo motherboard with an RPi and make a keyboard converter to use the CoCo
keyboard, or get a compact USB keyboard and mod the case for that (that's
what I'd do). But you can get a relatively cheap P3 or P4 laptop (battery
usually dead) and do the same things for about the same price (as long as
you don't want to replace the battery) though. There are a few other small
computers not much bigger than a large USB drive that do the same and cost
a little more, but under $100. Most are more powerful than the RPi (well,
those closer to $100 are) but still need the same peripherals to complete
a system.