[Coco] Raspberry Pi

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 16 14:27:10 EDT 2013

Yep... $38 Raspberry Pi needs a $25 HDMI / converter cable for the
monitor, a $14 USB keyboard, USB mouse, powered USB hub if you want to
use other devices and not all USB hubs will work with it, and it only
has 2 USB ports for keyboard and mouse, SD card which you can flash with
Debian Wheezy using a windows PC and some special software you can
download. So a $25 computer ends up costing a lot more than $25 once you
buy all the extras needed to make it work. Those were Australian prices.
It might be a bit cheaper in the US.

You end up though with a pretty good little computer. The CPU runs at
700MHz I think and doesn't have any heat sink. It requires a 1-1.5A 5V
power pack so it's only using 5 - 7.5 W. I think a desktop CPU uses
about 65W - 100W depending on the CPU. The CPU has a Floating Point
Unit, I think, and a GPU for the display. It will run with a 1920 x 1080
HD screen.

You max out the processor loading a web page, but it works. It uses
Midori as the web browser. The model A I bought had 256MB of RAM but the
new model B which came out not long after has 512MB of RAM. Not a lot of
RAM but enough to run Linux and a web browser.

There is a header with I think a UART interface, SPI, and maybe I2C and
a few I/O pins. You can hook up some 74HC595 (?) chips to do SPI I/O
although the ARM CPU operates at 3.3V and the TTL/HC chips usually run
at 5V. You might be able to write to the SPI interface via a device driver.

Aaron appears to have posted a pretty good description of it.

http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent