[Coco] drive motors

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jul 14 23:19:44 EDT 2013

On Sunday 14 July 2013 23:06:12 Glen VanDenBiggelaar did opine:

> Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought of using the boat load of
> available 720k Amiga 3.25 floppy drives available and setting the
> jumpers on them? Commodore just used off the shelf floppy drives and
> set the jumpers for them, the external ones are still dirt cheap and
> can be dissected for the drive. I have a closet full needing alignment
> and such, -just thinking outloud,

Unfortunately, the huge majority of the miggy drives out there were
destroyed by the miggy's and their penchant for tickling the drive back to
track 0 every 2 or 3 seconds, the infamous click you heard as long as it
was running unless you had downloaded and installed a 'no-click' patch.
That constant tickle wore out both the piece of music wire used for the
head carriage nut, and the phospher bronze spring on the other side of the
screw that furnished the spring to hold the music wire into the spiral
groove on the screw.  Compounded by the grease used being the worst dust
magnet ever, and turning into a very hard wax in about a year, I became
very intimately familiar with the miggies floppy drive, 880 and 1720k back
when we had about 6 of them at the tv station.

One of the things left out of the ones for the miggies was an index pulse
phto-diode and the led that drove it, since the amiga used a full track
read/write, that could run totally unsynchronized with the disks rotation,
it needed no index pulse, and os9 cannot format a disk without it.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Z.O.I.D.: Zombie Optimized for Infiltration and Destruction
         law-abiding citizens.