[Coco] Disk sizes was make case sensitive?

Retro Canada retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 13:44:15 EDT 2013

i have the makefiles for superide boot if you want to include them.

Sent from my TRS-80 Color 1 - model 26-3003B

On 2013-07-14, at 1:29 PM, Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:

> Why do you want to back up a superIDE disk image if you don't have a
> superIDE system? Just curious.

I was referring to every bootdisk in the repo. You cannot set up an HDBDOS to NitrOS9 boot without building a new bootdisk. Period.
By the way.... how many "new" users know what an "sdc" is? 0.  How many would download it to see what it is? 99%
Why do you think people keep asking about how to do it?
It's tough for newcomers to OS9 when they can't even back a standard floppy boot to a standard floopy because there is no standard copy of the standard floppy.... Okie dokie artichokie? :-)
Almost all of the NitrOS9 boot disks SHOULD have a 35trk SSDD version (multi disk to have all stuff available). (DW & Becker excluded though still would be useful)

Let's say I just got a Coco 3 from ebay. I haven't used the Coco in 20 years and never used OS9 because of the complexity of the system. I decide to give this Nitros9 a go since everyone is talking about how "easy" it is to use. I download the standard disk image for nitros96809l2030209coco3.dsk
I somehow made it through the obscure and mystical instructions to get HDBDOS running using a cassette cable... I even made a drivewire cable and can load the disk. But it won't boot. I need a dw bootdisk. back to download...
I can boot the dw bootdisk in drivewire..... but have access to ONLY that disk. There's no HD drivers, only floppy drivers and something called "x0", "x1" "x2" & "x3".... I don't remember nothing like that and I can't get the disk to my 35trk floppy.
How do I copy this 40trk DSDD disk to HDBDOS partition 255 so I can set up a bootdisk????
Answer: YOU CAN'T.... You have to make a boot disk... wait for it.... here it comes....
How do you make a boot disk?????
Then the whole can of worms gets dumped again for someone else to have to pick them up and put em back for next victo... err... I mean user.

I have personally helped over 25 people get booted into nitros9 just this year alone. I would hate to count back to 1987. I completely understand the animosity towards OS9. Luckily, I caught on to the whole boot process quickly and never really had much problem except for "boot list order bugs" (BLOB) back in the 80s. I even have a couple of standard vhd images I send to people for Vcc and real Coco so I won't have to try to explain the whole process of setting up a virtual hard drive system. There are those on this list that know this :-)

I have personally helped over 25 people get booted into nitros9 just this year alone. I would hate to count back to 1987. I completely understand the animosity towards OS9. Luckily, I caught on to the whole boot process quickly and never really had much problem except for "boot list order bugs" (BLOB) back in the 80s. I even have a couple of standard vhd images I send to people for Vcc and real Coco so I won't have to try to explain the whole process of setting up a virtual hard drive system. There are those on this list that know this :-)

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com