[Coco] Disk sizes was make case sensitive?

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 12:33:33 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Bill Pierce wrote:

> Aaron,
>  4.5 meg is also the actual "physical" size of the disk file. Not just the intended size. And most of all, it's not a DW or Becker disk. It's just a bootdisk for the superdriver (I think). The thing that gets me is that it's 85-90% empty. At 4.5 meg, that's 4 meg of empty disk. All that's on the disk would fit on a normal 720k disk. This has been recently added along with some others. The 6809 version of this disk is the same size.
>  2 others are the uucpbb21 6809 & 6309 disks which are over 2 meg in size. Only 50% used.
>  None of these disks are DW or Becker. The sizes I'm stating are not just the OS9 free reported size but the actual file size on my PC.
> This is about 6-7 meg extra download time. Those with limited bandwidth or dial-up don't need to download a lot of empty space. I know I'm not the only one here with limited bandwidth.

Well. who downloads all the images? You just need to download the
image that matches your hardware. And if you want to download all the
applications and games and everything totalling around 70 MB, +/-7 MB
is not the end of the world.

Oh and if you download the whole zip file with everything, zip has
efficiently compressed any such huge areas of zeroes.

> The disks cannot be backed up to real disks of any kind. Does the normal OS9 drive descriptor even allow reading or writing to these disks properly without modification? Yes I know DW will read them, but not everyone is using DW. Some still use just

Why do you want to back up a superIDE disk image if you don't have a
superIDE system? Just curious.

Tormod