[Coco] Was the CoCo just another game console? Re: The Coco Zelda Clone

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Tue Jul 9 13:34:12 EDT 2013

I think the use of cartridges for the CoCo was an obvious direction for
Tandy. Certainly there were plenty of predecessors like the VideoBrain,
Exidy Sorcerer, TI-99/4, Atari 400/800, and others who "blazed the trail"
if you will, but the benefits for home use were clear. Not only were
consumers already familiar with the convenience of cartridges from game
consoles, it was also a way for the new computer owner - who could not be
counted on to have any pre-existing knowledge - to easily do something with
the machine. It was literally the only plug and play thing you could do at
the time short of type in a BASIC program, and even that was kind of a
"next step" thing. Certainly plugging in a cassette recorder and using it
was not particularly difficult, but there were still fiddly bits that could
be intimidating. Naturally, there were other benefits for Tandy as well,
such as more robust copy protection and fewer support calls afforded by the
format.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and