[Coco] SuperIDE and CF Cards

Gustavo Ranaur Schoenaker ranaur at ranaur.net
Mon Jul 8 21:38:28 EDT 2013

Hi,

More information. I tried again, this time cloning the original CF card
using WinHex (cute program!).

When I load, for example, Calixto Island using the original card the main
screen is nice ... but when I load with the 4G card I see some strange
vertical black lines, and if I start the game it freezes with random
garbage. The same happens in different games (not, it`s not Professor
Lagarto's fault!). You can see the screenshots here ...

https://plus.google.com/u/0/109465536824672578462/posts/3shmWMwRtL4

I DDed the first 200MB of both cards and diffed the files. No difference.
Not a single bit. I really don1`t know what is happening. The SuperIDE and
the computer works fine. I tried on a tandy 2 and a tandy 3. WIth the
original card, it works very well. I almost cried playing Marble Maze after
more than 20 years :-).

Is there any size limitation for using CF cards on SuperIDE? Well I know
nothing about the CF cards internals, but I know (thanks Wikipedia!) it
emulates an ATA interface. Maybe some cards implements different versions
of the protocol, and maybe SuperIDE uses a version of the specification
that doesn't works with this card very well. Who knows?

I guess I have to buy another one ... any suggestions of brands? Kingston?
Sandisk?

Büller, Büller? Anyone?