[Coco] 3.5" Drive Variable in the NitrOS-9 Module Header

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jan 27 14:52:13 EST 2013

On Sunday 27 January 2013 14:37:04 Wayne Campbell did opine:
Message additions Copyright Sunday 27 January 2013 by Gene Heskett

> I recall that, although I never saw one, 720K floppies did exist, both
> in 5.25 and 3.5 varieties. I'm not sure it will be worth it for those,
> except for completeness as they were rare back then (89-94). I think
> the greatest issue will be the high-density drives. The 5.25 variety is
> 1.2 meg instead of 1.44 meg. Will that make a difference to the driver?
>
> When I had my Coco3 I had 3 80-track floppies, 2 5.25 and 1 3.5. I found
> a 1.44 meg 3.5, but it was only usable as a 80-track 360K because the
> descriptors and driver wouldn't work with anything larger under OS-9
> Level 2.

It bears repeating here that this is not an os9/nitros9 problem, its
hardware related.

It is the FDC chip, the x773's used in the controllers cannot be switched
to a 500 kilobaud data rate, only 250 kilobaud.  There are instructions
floating about on the web on how to make the original 40 pin '93 controller
into one that can do 500 kilobaud, and I have one with a Fujitsu MB8877A in
it that might be worth trying to patch, but really, with drivewire, its far
more of a 'can I do it' project than of any real use.

FWIW, that 1.2 meg format was reduced from 1.44 megs by switching the
platter speed from 300 rpm up to 360 rpm, I assume in an effort to get
adequate playback levels out of the then primitive heads, by both
lengthening the magnetic wavelength on the disk, and the boost from the
increased disk velocity.  Most, tied to a decent disk controller could
probably be used at 1.44 megs with the disks available near the end of the
floppies reign as a storage medium.  Don't forget too, that at the end of
the floppies run, we had 2.88 meg floppies, where the FDC ran at 1 megabaud
data rates.  But the hard drive grew up and kicked the floppy to the curb
about then.