[Coco] Assemblers' Documentation

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Sat Jan 26 16:59:33 EST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen H. Fischer

>Hi,
>
>I am sorry, you missed my question completly.
>
>I was asking why RMA was created when c.asm already existed.
>
>Why RLINK was created when c.link already existed.
>
>Were any features added?

Offhand, I don't think RMA and RLink are completely new from c.asm and
c.link. A binary compare of c.asm and RMA shows a lot of differences (of
course), but the overall structure of code, strings, string offsets, etc.
are pretty much the same. I see a similar pattern with c.link and RLink. As
to the why, I can speculate that Microware decided they could sell RMA as a
separate product (e.g. in the Developer's Pack) but I don't have any inside
information on that point.

I've never done a side-by-side comparison of the two either, so I can't say
what new features were included in RMA other than support for the Fortran
common block. You've piqued my curiosity on this so I'll disassemble them to
see what differences might lie under the covers as soon as If find the time.