[Coco] MESS CoCo Emulation

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Wed Jan 23 12:25:18 EST 2013

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 19:43:28 -0600 From: "Christopher R. Hawks"
<chawks at dls.net> ----------------------- On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 13:05:25
-0500 Frank Swygert <farna at amc-mag.com> wrote: Anyone pared MESS down to
just CoCo emulation? That along with just enough of Linux to boot and
run the emulation (well, you'd need some utilities for disk copying and
such) would be a good "CoCo" distribution... along with a customized GUI
for utilities and launching emulation... --------------------------

Frank:

	Yes, I did. (There is probably some hardware emulation that can
still be removed.) I run it on one of my Raspberry Pi(s). If someone
designs a CoCo keyboard to USB keyboard converter, I can put it in a
CoCo case!!!

	I used SdlMess 0.125 (the newer versions of mess wouldn't run
on the Pi).

	Watch for an article in the Coco 123 (Glenside Newsletter).

Christopher R. Hawks
------------------------------

Looking forward to seeing that! I don't know about a CoCo to USB keyboard converter... that would take a small processor itself, but maybe those guys working with the Arduino can cobble something up (maybe a BASIC Stamp?). You can always get a mini USB keyboard and mod the CoCo case to mount it, but you may as well buy a cheap Pentium 3 or 4 laptop and use it as a portable CoCo. There are several on e-bay for under $100, found one ending soon for $65 including shipping. Most are 256-512MB RAM, small hard drives, but you don't need a lot for a dedicated CoCo emulator. Most have bad batteries that are under $100, and some don't have power adapters (universal is about $50), so do read carefully! A few "for parts" are good working but without HDs or the HD caddy, but if you want to strip it and repackage...

E-bay item #150984247849 is an HP small form factor box that is priced
right (so far!) -- 2.33 GHz Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB SATA HD....
currently $24.99 + $12 S&H...  another from same seller is going for $62
+ $12, 2.5 hrs left. Great price if it goes for under $100 total!  These
guys have some SFF computers $100 and some 3.0 GHz P4 models for $60
(+S&H). Lots of good older computers out there.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine