[Coco] Compiling MESS

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Thu Jan 10 04:53:51 EST 2013

I'm trying to compile the unpatched version of MESS 147.4 first to make sure
I have everything setup properly with the MESS source code before I start
patching MESS with the serial patch and CF patch.  I'm using GCC 4.7.0, but
I keep getting an error 1 after just a few sections are compiled.  The
output in MingW appears as follows.

root at DS1 ~/mame

$ make TARGET=mess

Linking obj/windows/build/file2str.exe.

G++.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-municode'

make: *** [obj/windows/build/file2str.exe] Error 1

root at DS1 ~/mame

$

I had previously compiled mess so the other modules that are already
compiled of course did not display again.  The version of gcc I'm using is
shown below.

root at DS1 ~/mame

$ gcc -version

gcc.exe (GCC) 4.7.0

Copyright C 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

root at DS1 ~/mame

$

Any guidance as to what I'm doing wrong is much appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.  Please excuse the long-winded explanation. J

Kip