[Coco] MCC-216

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 14:42:06 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Gustavo Ranaur Schoenaker
<ranaur at ranaur.net> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Will the CoCo3FPGA run on an Altera DE-II board? I know it's 100 bucks more
> expensive, but the DE-I allows only PS2 keyboards and those keyboards are
> getting tough to find, and there is no doubt that USB is going to rule them

Actually, PS/2 ports are very common on brand new servers and
enterprise class PCs, even many laptops (often the laptops have only a
single ps/2 port).

This is because USB is far *too* flexible for any kind of security in
a business environment.  Disabling USB altogether on these devices and
using PS/2 for input devices is an easy fix to the problem of somebody
plugging in various mass storage, networking, or god knows what to the
company network.

PS/2 keyboards are not difficult to find at all and are sold new from
manufacturers like HP, Dell, IBM, Keytronic, Logitech, Microsoft etc
etc.  All of the top end gaming or "pro" keyboards use PS/2
exclusively because USB keyboards do not support N-key rollover.

So... off topic surely, but PS/2 is alive and well :)