[Coco] MCC-216

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 4 07:08:37 EST 2013

On 4/01/2013 1:15 PM, Allen Huffman wrote:

> And from catching up here briefly, it seems the boards it runs on are
> evaluation boards that come and go and change. So there's no FPGA
> production board made? Seems like there could be tons of applications for
> something like that. What would it cost to have something based on one of
> the eval boards made (that's the intent of eval boards, after all)?

You couldn't make one cheaper in small quantities than the eval boards. The
'problem' with the eval boards is that they have extra stuff you don't need
- increasing the production cost - and usually always have something lacking
that would be nice (plenty of 5V I/O, for example). And of course, as you
mention, they eventually become obsolete.

Basing a board on an existing design doesn't alter the cost or the expertise
required to produce it. As I mentioned in another thread, such a board is
likely to be well above the skill level of the average electronics hobbyist,
unfortunately. :(

Regards,