[Coco] MCC-216

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 21:19:41 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW, Drivewire on Gary's CoCo3FPGA does provide full compatibility
>> with regular old DECB.  The CoCo does not "know" it's using DW at all.
>> Gary implemented a standard FDC/1773 for the CoCo to talk to and the
>> translation of requests to DW is behind the scenes.
>
> BRILLIANT!!!
>
> What about copy protected images? I know those have been cloneable to virtual images for some time now in... something. MESS?

As Darren pointed out, the solution is limited to "standard" disks as
in 40 tracks, 256 bytes per sector.  So games that just bypass the ROM
routines but use normal disks should be fine, but games that do weird
things for copy protection purposes probably not.  I am not sure how
many fall into which category.  I'd imagine most "cracked" games would
work ok.