[Coco] General question for the fpga guru's out there

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 2 19:44:45 EST 2013

On 3/01/2013 7:15 AM, camillus Blockx wrote:

> Well Frank, it sounds that this could be a nice project that just needs a
> coordinator to start with. If one person writes down what board to produce
> then all the HW gurus can start making schematics of just one part of the
> board. After all the parts of the schematic are done

Not really something that can be designed "by committee" IMHO. Choosing an
FPGA also requires choosing I/O standards (voltage levels) for each I/O bank
and that mandates which power rails are required. If you choose to design
arbitrary circuits in isolation you'll end up with silly numbers of power
supplies and even more ridiculous level conversion logic.

You'll also quickly chew up I/O pins on the FPGA with memory and legacy I/O
connectivity options, and you'll end up using a massive BGA part that will
be expensive and require commercial assembly.

It is also something that really should not be attempted without a
reasonably good knowledge of how the Coco will be implemented in the FPGA.
That will dictate what type of memory you'll require, what I/O, whether you
need an external micro for floppy emulation, etc etc.

Again, not really in the same league as sticking a PIC on a 2-layer PCB.

Regards,