[Coco] Recovering Data from Bad Disks

Jayeson Lee-Steere cocolistemail at titaniumstudios.com
Sun Feb 24 13:51:25 EST 2013

Luis, thank you for your efforts. I was not able to get the BACKUP.BIN you
sent working, maybe because I was running HDB-DOS at the time. However I am
fairly certain I have my problem solved.

For others that have the same issue as I: On the disk containing Defeater,
there was another utility BACKUP512K. It does what the name suggests, dumps
sectors on the screen as read and prints out error information as they
occur. The on screen display makes it easy to visualize what is wrong with
the disks. I have a number of disks I thought were probably a lost cause,
for example RS-DOS was not able to read off a single file from any of the 6
disks with my programming work on them. These in fact have worst case about
20 bad bytes on the whole disk. Usually it is just one byte in a sector
(probably just 1 bit actually), one time there were several bytes that read
inconsistently.

For someone in my situation (including having a 512K Coco and only 1
drive), this software is the bomb. Carl England, if you are reading, thank
you very much. The only slight inconvenience is that it requires using an
intermediate (good) floppy, which I do not have, but another very kind
member is sending me some.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

- Jayeson Lee-Steere