[Coco] My New ATXMEGA128A3U Study Board Arrived

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Feb 21 09:29:48 EST 2013

Kip

Not a bad price.

If you are not familiar with Atmel RISC assembly and are familiar with 6809 assembly then
you will find a few quirks with the ATMEL part.

Assembly for the ATmel RISC processors is not difficult to learn with some assembly
background. It is that coming from the 6809 which is a CISC processor to the AVRs, a RISC
Processor, there is some getting used to. With the AVR you now have 32 8 bit registers. All
can be used for just about what ever you want. The first 16 registers are handled a little
different than the last 16 registers. R26 through R31 can be used for 3 16 bit pointer
registers.

I strongly recommend that you also study the instruction set guide. It is available via the help
menu or via a PDF download or with the software CD. You may need a ISP progrmamer like
the AVRMKII. This is in case the bootloader, if the board has one, is accidentally erased.

The instruction set is kind of similar to the HC11 but not. There are instructions that act only
on the upper 16 registers and not the lower 16 registers. I guess the saving grace is the MOV
and MOVW instructions. This allows register to register copying. I say copy because unlike
the instruction would indicate, it does not move a register. It copies from source to destination
register.

Once you learn the little quirks of the AVR, it is not a bad microcontroller. I use them for my
Christmas Lighting. I use the ATMega328 version. AVR studio is straight forward use IDE
and with the AVR MKII ISP programer it is easy to get code loaded and running.

Enjoy the world of AVR. There is a ton, and I mean a ton of code snippets for the AVR out
there from robotics to dedicated projects. I am using mine for DMX512 lighting control.

james