[Coco] Learning CPU Architecture and Digital Design

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 20 06:43:01 EST 2013

On 20/02/2013 10:30 PM, Mark McDougall wrote:

> Please understand that none of this is a criticism of your core in any way!

I should also add this:

My colleague originally decided he wanted to do a 68K (before they were
freely available) but thought it would be a good idea to attempt a 6809
first. So he took off with that and then it stalled for a few years.

I have always wanted to do a CPU core myself. Pretty much every core I'm
interested in has been done, aside from some less popular cores used as
audio CPUs in some arcade games. However, I'm not keen on investing a lot of
time in doing a CPU that is only used for audio. The other possibility was
an ARM2 (ARM250) for an Acorn Archimedes implementation. Not sure how ARM
Holdings would feel about that either. :(

And so I find myself considering picking up the 6809 where my colleague left
off, and at the same time had the idea to enhance it with 6309 and BDM
modules. It gives me a head start, and I'm more familiar with the 6809. I
also have plenty of test designs, and it's probably of interest to more people.

So none of this is bourne out of any great dissatisfaction with the CPU09
core - not by a long shot!

Regards,