[Coco] Level1 v2.0.0 games on hard drives

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Feb 19 22:45:30 EST 2013

I've been trying to get some Level1 v2.0.0 games to work with hard drive systems
such as MESS or my real SCSI system. Initially the only thing that worked was to
add new drivers to the game's OS9Boot file and boot from a floppy.

I thought that swapping the Boot module with a new one would permit booting from
a hard drive system using RGBDOS/HDBDOS. However, dropping a new Level1 Boot
from the NitrOS-9 project into the game's kernel did not work. The boot process
crashed.

I finally had to disassemble the Level1 v2.0.0 Boot module and use that as a
basis for modifying the MESS .vhd boot used with RGBDOS. That worked and
permitted a boot from the .vhd without need for a floppy. Mickey's Space
Adventure played from the .vhd drive without using a floppy.

Anyone else trying to get these Level1 games to run from hard drives should
consider the above.

Robert