[Coco] Learning CPU Architecture and Digital Design

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Feb 19 11:21:11 EST 2013

Commercial cores could be cycle accurate and also run at faster speeds.

A lot depends on how accurate to the specifications of the 6809 that the designer wants to
be.  Most I have seen state that they are source code and opcode compatible. That is they
will run the same code without compiling or assembly. Naturally when you run one of these
cores at 10 or 15MHz, timing loops will need adjusting.

John Kent's open source core is widely accepted. It is now very stable and while not 100%
cycle accurate, it is very close as of the last time I looked at it. There were a few opcodes that
executed one or two cycles faster.

james