[Coco] Printing from the Color Computer

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Mon Feb 18 18:53:04 EST 2013

Not really, although that probably is a good indicator.  But in the
long run getting a physical connection to the printer is a Simple
Matter Of Hacking... :-)

I think the issue that Brian was worried about was whether or not the
printer could be driven by data that the CoCo can reasonably generate.
Modern day "consumer-grade" printers are fairly stupid on the inside,
requiring some amount of processing on the host to do rasterization
of whatever needs to be printed.  That isn't impossible for the
CoCo, but it would require a lot more processing and data transfer
than what we used to send to our DMP-100 "back in the day".  Also,
in many cases the details of what to send are poorly documented
or not documented at all outside the device manufacturer's walls.
This is also the reason that printing for Linux (and to some extent
Mac) remains more hit-and-miss than most other modern hardware support.

With that said, you probably need a more expensive-ish printer that
understands PCL, or maybe Postscript if you can find a CoCo app
that can generate that.  The physical interface is probably still
an issue, but that is not insurmountable.  OTOH, using DriveWire to
drive a Linux-compatible printer through a Raspberry Pi is probably
a reasonable-enough option to satisfy most needs?  YMMV, of course...

John