[Coco] Learning CPU Architecture and Digital Design

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Sun Feb 17 04:30:10 EST 2013

Hello Everyone,

I know at least two people on this list have studied CPU Architecture and
Digital Design at some point, because there are two versions of the 6x09
processor core in existence ready to burn into an FPGA chip.  My interests
have begun to be peeked in that direction as well.  I'd like to expand the
6x09 core (not sure which one to pick yet) into a core with a 24-bit address
bus and keep the same 8-bit data bus while at the same time preserving the
complete instruction set, if possible.  Has anyone else ever had this idea?
Paging memory into and out of the 64K address space would be a thing of the
past and we would not have to learn a new assembly language to utilize it.
I'd like to eventually burn this into an FPGA chip and use it in an expanded
version of my 6809 computer project.  I'd also like to study this subject in
detail.  In order to facilitate my studies, which book(s) would you all
suggest I look into getting?  Thank you all for your help.

Kip