[Coco] How does the cartridge port work, anyway?

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Fri Feb 15 21:47:56 EST 2013

On 13-02-15 05:30 PM, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> I believe the NMI IRQ routine checks the first two bytes at $C000 and determines if there is a
> valid Disk ROM located there first. For the Floppy Disk Cartridge the first two bytes are $44
> and $4B respectively (DK). That tells basic that there is a disk cartridge there. I think that the
> rest do start execution from $C000.

Actually, the NMI has nothing to do with starting cartridges at all. The
autostart game cartridges use the FIRQ as noted elsewhere in the thread
and the FIRQ handler does a bit of setup and then jumps to C000.

The Disk ROM detection is done by the extended basic ROM during its
initialization just before it transfers control to the basic main loop.
There is no interrupt involved in this detection at all. This is the DK
detection business.