[Coco] How does the cartridge port work, anyway?

T. Franklin tim at franklinlabs.com
Fri Feb 15 06:38:38 EST 2013

If memory serves... Isn't there a CART signal that when the cartridge is inserted, this signal is shorted to a "0" state and the CPU sees this bit during boot? The BIOS then knows the cartridge is inserted and calls the code at $c000 (or some predetermined address in the cart. address area) for initialization. I remember that you could grab the cartridge code by placing a small piece of tape over this signal to prevent the BIOS from calling the cartridge initialization code. Then you can grab the cart image with a short assembly program.

At least this is how I remember it. I'm old and the gray matter doesn't work as well as it used too.