[Coco] Floppies to PC or other OSs

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 13 13:45:56 EST 2013

On Wednesday 13 February 2013 13:27:36 Phill Harvey-Smith did opine:

> On 13/02/2013 14:42, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> > On 2/12/2013 9:26 AM, Daniel Campos wrote:
> > If you have Windows 98 or earlier, it is easy to implement a DISK
> > utility to read/write coco disks with 256 byte sectors.  Several
> > exist.
> >
> > They also appear to exist for Linux.
>
> setfdprm and dd work fine for transfering CoCo images to disks and disks
> to images.

Yup, they do indeed...  Until you run into some motherboard vendors idea of
a joke, like ASUS.  I am using an M2N-SLI Deluxe here, a board carrying a
quad core phenom that cost me $285 bare several years ago, and have yet to
make it do anything with a 256 byte sectored disk, the FDC returns no
errors other than IO Error, but it simply does not work.  The FDC designers
have quietly thrown 256 byte sectored disks under the bus.

Sending a downloaded new issue of a nitros9.dsk to my coco over a serial
port, using rzsz, works but is about as painful as watching paint dry since
it takes the better part of an hour at 620 bytes a second, but now with a
working drivewire, its not needed since you can run a mb script direct from
a drivewire mounted image that only exists on the drives of this linux box,
or it can be backed up directly to an hdbdos image IF its small enough, but
that has not been the case now for several years.  So if I want to put that
image on the coco's hard drives, I still rzsz it, to a file on /s1 (my 2nd
HD) then locate it, then dmode /s1 to make it think its looking at a large
floppy drive, then dsave it to the main drive.  Lots of ways to skin that
cat.

But I haven't done that since drivewire.