[Coco] Ethernet Port Cartridge for the Coco 3

John E. Bielak j.bielak at comcast.net
Tue Feb 5 19:48:35 EST 2013

On 2/5/2013 12:44 PM, Steve Batson wrote:
> I know I've seen several threads on this in the past with all sorts of opinions on it. While I have a lot of hardware and software experience in the PC world, I'm not  a circuit level person nor do I have experience writing drivers and such to make this type of thing work. I do find it interesting and have some genuine questions.
>
> While some say that the CoCo is too slow to implement an ethernet interface with software to implement the TCP/IP stack on it (and I totally understand that), wouldn't it be possible to create a product that handled all of the Ethernet hardware as well as the networking stack and just transfer requests and responses to the coco when appropriate? For example, if software was doing a file transfer, couldn't the coco just pass the request  off to the controller and transfer the data at speeds that it can handle with the controller doing all of the heavy lifting and buffering as needed?
>
> I know people of talked about a web browser for the coco too. I do think the graphics and resolution limits alone would make that not feasible even if the controller did all the hard work and just passed the page info to the coco, but I don't see why text based connections and file transfer type networking would be out of the question if the controller did all the stuff that the CoCo couldn't do efficiently.
>
> Let's say this was a feasible approach, why would this approach not be acceptable if it works and there's no other feasible way to do it? Better than not having the ability to do it :)

There shouldn't be any reason you can't do it with a coco..

I have no less then 5 different Ethernet adapters for my Commodore Retro
equipment... They'll run simple browsers, FTP, Telnet... someone even
made a Twitter client.

The first, and simplest was the FBNET net
(http://fotios.cbm8bit.com/fbnet.php) It uses Olimex CS8900 Ethernet
controller header board
(https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Ethernet/CS8900A-H/).... It's
such a simple design I've been considering brushing on my electronics
and adapting it to my other retro PC.

I think The real trick is the software... or rather, getting people to
write it.

-John-