[Coco] De-lurk!

Christopher Barnett Fox cbfox01 at syr.edu
Tue Dec 31 10:44:20 EST 2013

Thanks, Kip!

I love the Coco Data Center page. Lots of great info here!

I'm just getting started rebuilding my CoCo (and other vintage computer) rigs, and I've got a lot to learn. I'm about to build an interface cable for the RGB connector on the CoCo 3 to go to a Wei-Ya ACV-011 VGA converter. I've read some posts suggesting this setup works well. I certainly hope so, as I'd forgotten just how bad the composite output on the CoCo can be. I was tempted to eBay a CM-8 recently, but I've decided to take the more rewarding (and cheaper) path with the more flexible ACV-011 converter. I'm looking at getting the 2x5 ribbon header from Sparkfun. My local RS didn't have it.

I'm having a hard time finding compatible 360K 5.25" floppy drives to add to my single DSDD drive FD-502 setup. I ended up with a couple of the seemingly worthless 1.2MB drives from an eBay purchase. I'd thought they'd be compatible with 300 RPM & 360K disks through a jumper config, but it seems not. (They'll format and write disks fine, but won't read any of my existing DSDD 35- or 40-track disks.)

One thing's for sure, I'm having a blast getting back into retrocomputing.

Next on the purchase list are some upgrades from Cloud9. Need 512K, and some of the controllers (SuperIDE?) are very appealing.

Keep in touch, and thanks for the warm welcome!

christopher