[Coco] DriveWire for TC-9/SWTPC/M68MM17

Steve 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Sun Dec 29 20:09:27 EST 2013

As Aaron already pointed out, the use of the Bit-banger on the CoCo is
far from the best solution for transferring data from one computer to
another.  (Be it drivewire or not.)  The use of a UART, USB or Bluetooth
hardware solution is preferred over the CPU doing all that work.

The main reason drivewire uses Bit-banging is cost and convenience.  Not
all CoCo setups have the Deluxe RS-232 pak on them.  Also, a good
programmer (like Aaron) can fine tune the Big-Banging code to transfer
faster than the Deluxe RS-232 pak.

There are a number USB and Bluetooth modules that will easily interface
to these "old time" computers.  Their main advantage besides transfer
speed is their large FIFO buffers that keeps buffer overrun errors to a
minimum.  I used a number of hard wired and wireless modules in custom
projects for the Haunt industry with great success.

Steve