[Coco] DriveWire for TC-9/SWTPC/M68MM17

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Dec 29 17:47:28 EST 2013

Just to confirm my understanding:  The CoCo's Bitbanger uses pins from
PIA IC4.  DriveWire for the Dragon uses the same client driver with the
addition of a little extra hardware to invert and possibly
level-translate the same pins from its 6821 parallel port. Correct?  So
with a similar adapter one should be able to use one of the TC-9
Tomcat's PIAs for DriveWire, and the same should be true of a 6821 board
on an SWTPC, GIMIX, Motorola Micromodule 17, S-100 6809, or SBC,
assuming you are using the driver appropriate to your CPU type and clock
speed, and you have a descriptor pointing at the right address.

Actually, as I think about it, the clock speed might be a problem. The
DW code is very, very tight and relies on instruction timings that are
only going to be valid for the exact clock speed of the CoCo.  So if you
have an SWTPC running at 2 MHz it won't be able to run an unmodified
DriveWire client written to work at 1.78MHz, will it?  Since the TC-9
uses the GIME it is probably running at CoCo 3 speed, though I think I
remember FHL claiming some kind of speed-up.  How hard would it be to
modify the DW client code to run at 2 MHz or 1 MHz?  Or would it be
worth it to replace the crystals and drop 10-20% of the CPU clock to get
DriveWire?  Hmm.

JCE