[Coco] 6309 vs 6809

Retro Canada retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 23:23:26 EST 2013

in fact i think i found one difference: the 6309 seems to trap invalid instructions even in emulation mode.

just try to boot the hdbdos (with the cart pin connected to the e-clk) it makes to run the code from $c000 where there is a DK string there. the cart accidentally goes to cold boot on 6809 cpus but hangs on 6309 ones.

On Dec 27, 2013, at 10:35 PM, Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM, mike delyea <mdelyea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a side by side comparison of the 6309 vs 6809?  I keep
> hearing how much faster the 6309 is but I'd like to see a real-world
> comparison.  I understand that most of the speed improvements come from
> 6309 native mode as opposed to 6809 compatible model, but isn't most coco
> software unaware of the 6309?  Numbers and bar charts just don't cut it -
> I'd like to see if there is any noticeable difference between the chips
> doing normal activities.  Play a couple RSDOS games, boot NitrosO-9, run
> some OS-9 programs etc.

As far as I know, nothing available under RSDOS uses the extra 6309
instructions, so you shouldn't see any speed difference there at all
except if you put it into native mode.  Only under NitrOS-9 should
there be any noticeable difference.

Art