[Coco] DW4/Prolific USB/Xubuntu 13.10 Fail

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 06:21:32 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 5:41 AM, Joel Ewy wrote:
> I have one of these USB/Serial thingies.  It's a Prolific -- cheap and
> sucky, but Aaron says they work for him, right?  (I also want to get it

I have tested many USB-serial adapters and some of them do suck. For
my Dragon adapters I initially tried to use PL2303 (Profilic), but
gave up on them and now consistently use CP2102 (Silicon Laboratories)
ones instead which all seem to work very reliable. However I have had
excellent experience with some PL2303 adapters at work (running 24/7
for years on Linux machines), so these seem to be a mixed bag. I think
I have read something about pirated PL2303 clones and Profilic giving
up on the PL2303 series because of the bad reputation they
(undeservedly) got.

> working so I can try out the Raspberry Pi as DW4 server. I might even have
> space to pack one into the Coco 3 case with the CoCo3FPGA and make a
> self-contained PiCo with WiFi.)
>
> Well, since the OS upgrade I needed to reinstall rxtx, which I have done.

FWIW I never installed any rxtx package on my Debian or Ubuntu machines.

> At first I couldn't get DW4 to even see /dev/ttyUSB0.  I added my user
> account to the dialout group, but that apparently did nothing.  When I set
> r/w permissions for all to ttyUSB0, Drivewire was able to see the serial
> port.  So far, so good.

Remember that you need to log out and in again after adding the user to a group.

And remove the modem-manager package if you don't need it. At least on
older Ubuntu releases it would mess up too many serial devices when it
probes for modems.

Tormod