[Coco] .BIN to .ROM

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 05:50:15 EST 2013

Chad,

If your original motivation is to store programs in a (multi) ROM
cartridge and run them without disk or tape loading, you can consider
a "memory snapshot" solution. (BTW, not unlike Luis' way of running
Dragon programs on a CoCo.) You can take a memory snapshot after the
.BIN file has loaded, before it starts execution. Determine which
parts of RAM have been changed, and store them (compressed) in a
cartridge image which also contains the unpacking routines. So when
the cartridge runs, the original .BIN code gets unpacked to its
original location and the code runs at the location is was made to run
at.

Cheers,
Tormod