[Coco] My latest project

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Dec 23 22:52:08 EST 2013

Joel
You hit the nail right on the head. I've been working on a module dependacy list that has evey module I can find. All catagorized by cputype, system type etc. I ran into a problem with my lisrt getting larger than what I could handle in 64k of memory so that's when I decided it was time to work on the virtul memory system.
Actually, the virtual buffer system is simple. It's just get/put buffers mapped into the system 8k at a time with an elaborate indexing system to keep up with where the data is at in the buffers.
The "fragged" subroutines is a little more complex. I will probably do a page on both of these eventually, explaining how they work.

Thanks for the encouragement, it' what keeps me going :-)

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Hey Bill,This looks really cool.  I'd love to read more about the virtual memory and "fragged" routines you are using.  I assume the virtual memory is controlled within the application.  Any chance these could eventually be turned into libraries other people could use?I've been thinking for a long time about a system for building boot files like what you're working on.  I'd love to see this come to fruition.  Since this is largely about helping out beginners it would be cool if it did at least some minimal sanity checking on the boot lists, warning you if you have a descriptor with no driver or file manager, or a driver with no associated descriptors.  It should also keep a running total of memory usage, and maybe even tell you how close you are to an 8K block boundary.Here's another idea:  a data module builder.  This could also be used to cook up device descriptors on the quick.  Say you need a few more windows, or you need to rename a descriptor so it doesn't conflict with something else of the same name.  Dial up the type of module -- data module or device descriptor.  If it's a data module, you insert appropriate data structures for BASIC09, C, or ML.  If it's a device descriptor, select your file manager and driver from a list (you will already have the database for your boot list builder) and it will bring up a template.  Fill in the values, set the edition and revision, and tell it to build.Keep us posted.JCE> Bill Pierce> My Music from the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 2 & 3> https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/> Co-Webmaster of The TRS-80 Color Computer Archive> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/> Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia> http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com>>> --> Coco mailing list> Coco at maltedmedia.com> http://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/coco>--Coco mailing listCoco at maltedmedia.comhttp://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/coco