[Coco] Silly question

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Dec 21 14:47:48 EST 2013

Bill.... Shell difference?... A lot of code....
Seriously, I haven't used a standard shell since the arrival of the 1st Shell+. Also, you should not be using Shell 2.1 (or is it 2.0?) to start with. It's got a lot of problems unless someone has fixed them. If I remember right, it assumes you need more memory and auto assigns more memory to every program it runs. A lot of programs assign (malloc) their own memory and this feature alone would make them crash with error 207. There are some other problems as well. I have no idea why that shell was included in the repo distros along with 2.2a.
You should use Shell 2.2a as those problems were addressed and more features added. I've used this shell since the 90s (or longer, whenever it became available on Delphi) and have had no problems.

Some of the things added to the newer shells are configurable prompts, wildcards from the command line, better scripting (though some say they have problems with scripts, I've yet to see them), and quite a few more features. The docs to shell 2.2a are on RTSI and explain the additions in detail as well as how to use them. I think the docs are in the repo as well.

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com