[Coco] A hint for NitrOS-9, MPI, and "hard drive" PAK

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Dec 19 16:49:31 EST 2013

On Thursday 19 December 2013 16:33:28 Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) did opine:

> It takes a month to arrive. It's normal.
>
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 December 2013 16:18:08 Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) did
opine:

> >> UTSource does have it:
> >>
> >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/SC77527P-Manu-MOTOROLA-Encapsulation-DIP-16-/
> >> 120 920875961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c277223b9
> >>
> >> I bought 2 from them and it works. I have one spare here.
> >
> > He just sold 2 more, thanks Luis.

I am also wondering if anyone has ever had the full specs on that chip, I
have no clue if it is actually even rated for the full plus-minus 12 volts
on its RS232 output buffers.  The schematic rather conveniently leaves out
those magic smoke alarm insurance details.  The old green coco manual may
cover that in better detail.

Obviously at its age, theres no chance its CMOS at all, probably NMOS &
making some heat normally. OTOH, its voltage regulator section was running
at flea power as there was no pass transistor left for it to drive on that
board.  So that end of the die was running cooler than "normal".

Unlike NMOS, Std 4000 family CMOS stuff can take a very large supply
overvoltage.  I once used a 4028 to decode border times in a character
generator, with a total applied voltage of 28 volts on what was supposed to
be a 15 volt chip.  But with 28 volts, it was about 4x faster than the pdf
said, and which I needed for clean borders, and might have warmed up about
250 milliwatts worth, and ran that way for several years at KRCR in Redding
CA. Old NTSC days in the 79-82 time frame.

If anyone has that data, I'd sure appreciate it.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* joeyh wonders why everyone wants to know how tall he is
<james> joeyh: it helps the sniper
         law-abiding citizens.