[Coco] Odd behavior

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Dec 17 19:56:20 EST 2013

On Tuesday 17 December 2013 19:47:49 jeremy michea did opine:

> I don't think I've EVER waited 5 or 10 seconds to remove a cart after
> shutting it down. Never heard of this before. I could be damaging my
> coco's by not doing so?
>
> Having grown up from my youth to now switching game cartridges on the
> fly for various computers and game machines, I just assumed that once
> the machine is off, you're safe.
>
> This is good to know.

Yes, you really should wait until the psu voltages have collapsed and the
cpu is no longer 'alive'.

That said, lots of us have violated that rule, but there is always that
slim chance of being 'caught out'.  Something I don't think we really ought
to tempt fate on since some of the bits and pieces of these things are now
being made, if made at all, out of pure unobtainium.  Some of the logic
chips, now 30 years old, may as well have been made in an underground room
of King Herods mines.  The effort to do the digging to locate one can sure
waste a lot of time, and even sheckles too.