[Coco] coco's httpd client

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 20:48:18 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> Greetings all who have the web server "httpd" actually working;
>
> On the coco, in sys/indetd.conf I have:
>
> 6809 telnet protect banner,login,
> 6811,httpd,
>
> Which is according to the sys/inetd.conf files now supplied with a week
> old nitros9 hg clone type pull.  The runb is no longer spec'd and the
> cmds/httpd module from one of those .dsk's built this morning has
> overwritten the slightly larger 2 year old version I was also never able
> to make work.
>
> On the pc, a linux box, my running, most recent release of DW4UI.jar's config.xml has:
>
> <TCPServerPort category="device" max="65535" min="1" type="int">6811</TCPServerPort>
> <TCPClientPort category="device" max="65535" min="1" type="int">65503</TCPClientPort>
> <TCPClientHost category="device" type="string">192.168.71.3</TCPClientHost>

These are only relevant to people using tcp as the Drivewire
mechanism, primarily people using emulators.  I believe you use a
serial port to connect a real CoCo?  If so, these are not needed.

Worse, by setting TCPServerPort to the *same* value as a port you tell
the coco to use in inetd (6811), you have a conflict that will break
things.  If the server uses 6811 to try to listen for a DriveWire
connection, the port will not be available to the CoCo for running a
web server.

I suggest you remove all of those settings from config.xml

> according to proc on the coco, inetd is running.
> $ telnet 192.168.71.3:6809
> telnet: could not resolve 192.168.71.3:6809/telnet: Name or service not known

First, this is a syntax error.  Use a space to separate host and port:
  telnet 192.168.71.3 6809

However, in your configuration it would not do anything anyway.  By
specifying 192.168.71.3 as the "TCPClientHost" you have instructed
DriveWire to open a connection to that address and try to initiate
DriveWire communications with it.  Nothing to do with
telnet/httpd/anything on the coco.

> Same zip result for localhost:6809
>
> Point firefox at localhost:6811 and it waits forever
> Ditto to 192.168.xx.3:6811
>
> The cups server at localhost:631 works fine.
>
> What do I do next?

First, remove all TCPServer and TCPClient settings from config.xml.
Restart DW server, restart coco, then on the same PC that is running
DriveWire, open web browser, in the address box enter:
http://127.0.0.1:6811

I think it will work ok. Good luck.