[Coco] DB-25 to 4pin DIN printout

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Sat Dec 14 06:44:29 EST 2013

Hi Bill!
Here's an idea for you.  If you can setup both of your Coco 3s together, you
could plug the 4-pin DIN RS-232 plug into the serial I/O port of the other
coco 3 with the 25-pin RS-232 connector plugged into the RS-232 pak on your
main Coco 3.  Run a terminal program on the other Coco 3 with the 4-pin DIN
plug and whatever you wish that uses the pak on your main Coco 3.  Let me
know the results.  Play with this idea if you are up to it because I know
you will have to temporarily relocate something, just don't let anything
over heat.
You can check the wiring on your cable by looking up the pin out of the
RS-232 connectors on the internet.  To make RS-232 work, at a very minimum,
you need to cross-connect the TX line of one connector to the RS line of the
other and vice-versa coming back in the other direction and remember to tie
the Grounds together.  Understand?  Remember to match the pin out for a male
to a male connector on your cable or female to female pin out as the case
may be.
Your 25-pin to 4-pin DIN RS-232 cable looks similar to the one I made years
ago except yours looks better, professional even, so it may be wired in a
similar fashion.  Obviously I don't know though.  When I made my serial
printer cable for my CGP-115, I wired that serial cable differently than a
standard serial cable would have been wired.  When I saw that cable a little
while back, I remember looking at the wiring of it wondering why I wired it
the way I did.  Not having a schematic to compare with, I could not verify
what some of the signals were.
Keep the faith .  I'll be up when I can to help if need be.  In the
meantime, do the best you can.  Maybe someone will respond to your email.
I want to give you a Christmas gift if I can afford it.  Be thinking what it
might be, maybe something computer related like a double twisty floppy drive
cable perhaps or something else?  Take care my friend.
Kip