[Coco] Why OS9? was Re: Drive Wire strangeness

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Dec 8 23:53:41 EST 2013

Steve,
I guess the choice of OS9 or RSDOS is a matter of personal use, experience, and more than anything.... opinion.
When I started on the Coco, I became well versed in RSDOS Basic, then a little better than intermediate with EDTASM. I soon discovered OS9 Lv 1. I loved the modularity and the system calls. OS9 Asm was "almost" the same as edtasm if edtasm had built in macros for drives, screen, graphics, text and any other I/O you need. The best RSDOS asm could offer were a few poorly documented calls to Basic for a few functions.
I also started with Basic09 then. I soon found that trying to do anything with graphics screens as I had in RSDOS that the memory limits in Lv 1 were too restrictive and eventually went back to RSDOS (regretfully).
Along came the Coco 3 and OS9 Level 2.... All of a sudden, the memory limits were not as bad, the system calls were better and the machine was faster. It didn't take me long to figure out that Level 2 was a far superior OS compared to RSDOS or even OS9 L1. Then I figured out how to put multitasking and multiple windows to work for me and found it very hard to go back to RSDOS's native 32 column screen (needed for most programming) or even 40 & 80 cols and a single screen. Yes there were a few enhancements available to use windows and more memory in RSDOS for the Coco 3 but most ended up using more memory than they saved or were buggy as well as not being standard to anyone else's Coco if I desired to publish or share my work. So I stayed with OS9 L2 and never looked back

I say this now as I work on a program suite in NitrOS9 L2, utilizing 3 windows for text editors for my source codes, 1 window for compiling my code in C and 1 window running the lastest compile of my program for reference. The program suite consists of about 50-60 source files and uses virtual memory up to 2 meg (I have 1 meg on my Coco 3), frgged subroutines and modules forked to other 64k workspaces with "pipes" passing data back and forth. All this with 3 floppies, 4 hard drives (dw4) and a 96k ramdisk for speed.
No, I don't think I could go back to RSDOS.... I would have to write a new OS to do what I do now... wait!! It's already been done... It's called OS9 :-)

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com