[Coco] hardware scrolling

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Dec 8 21:57:03 EST 2013

Le 2013-12-01 à 15:47:00, John W. Linville a écrit :

> At what point did Tandy officially start to warn people not to use the
> SG-8/12/24 semi-graphics modes?  Obviously they aren't supported in the
> GIME, but that would come been several years later.  Was there any other
> reason for Tandy to not want people to use those modes? Some claim that
> those modes are 'undocumented', but they are clearly described in the
> SAM datasheet.

And they're not even just there, I see them listed one by one in the
"TRS-80 Color Computer Technical Reference Manual", and they're listed in
ordinary user manuals as well... I have it described on pages 262-264 of
"Introduction au Basic Couleur" (26-9486, non-ECB), which is the one I
learned programming with when I was a kid (I loved the cartoon character).
English version was made in 1981, French version was made overseas in 1982
or early 1983, and my parents got it as part of the CoCo1 package in 1983.

The ECB followup manual ("Basic Couleur Étendu" 26-9483) does not seem to
mention semigraphics, though I had always understood it as being naturally
because there was nothing more to write about it that hadn't been written
already... it's not even a CB feature, and ECB has no commands about it
either. I only recently learned about the « semigraphics conspiracy » ;)