[Coco] Need help with 3.5" drives and NitrOS-9

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Tue Dec 3 23:43:21 EST 2013

Hi Robert!
That is an interesting symptom.  I've read many of the emails about the
formatting situation in NitrOS-9, but to be honest, I've never noticed any
strange behavior that may be caused by the type field in the drive
descriptor.  But then I was not looking for this symptom anyway.  I will do
some checks on my system using all my floppy controllers, but once I
filtered through all my old 3.5" drives and got several to run NitrOS-9
successfully, I have had few if any problems as long as I don't keep
changing things around as I tend to do sometimes when experimenting.  I've
done quite a few formats and backups on my 3.5" drives getting NitrOS-9
running on my Cocos using the 720KB 2880 sector OS9 floppy disk format and
I've had no problems using good quality floppies that I remember.
Incidentally, since you are using MITSUMI model D35M3D floppy drives
(shouldn't that read D359M3D), are you twisting conductors 10-12 to get two
drives running as Drive 0 & 1?  If so, have you done anything to get a third
Mitsumi Model D359M3D drive to run on the same cable?  Could a second twist
of 10-16 accomplish this?  When I was experimenting with PC floppy drive
cables, I noticed that the drive after the twist was drive 2, not 0.  I
thought that was interesting.  Since I have a plethora of Mitsumi drives
myself so far unused, I was also playing around with the idea to create a
little PCB with drive select jumpers for all the 0-3 possible choices.
Well, 0,2 & 3 anyway.  It would be pointless to have a DS1 selection,
wouldn't it.  That way, any floppy drive with no jumpers could be made to
respond as any drive the user wishes.  What do you think?  A double twisty
cable, or PCBs?  The double twisty cable could actually work I think.  Can I
digress.
Anyway, I will check and see if I have any 3.5" 720KB NitrOS-9 2880 sector
disks getting corrupted on my coco 3 and 1 systems, but at this point I
would say, I think not.  You are truly a wealth of Information!  Take care
my friend.
Kip