[Coco] hardware scrolling revisited...

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Mon Dec 2 14:01:31 EST 2013

The Artifact mode is do to a failure NTSC Color standard to handle the
screen like the CoCo's 256 dot mode.  The "great and power" Woz used
this failure in NTSC  to create the Hi-Res Color mode of the apple II.

Tandy never know their CoCo had a four color (Black, White, Red and
Blue) mode based on the 256 Black and White mode till I shipped them
PopCorn.  It took many letters and phone calls before they believe this
mode worked on all CoCos.  (At the time, there was no pal version of the
CoCo.)  By the time I shipped Mega-Bug, the Artifact was a "Documented"
graphics mode and why so much design time was spent to support it in the
CoCo3.

Steve