[Coco] hardware scrolling revisited...

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Sun Dec 1 22:56:38 EST 2013

Besides battlestations, there were a number of games that use this trick
of switching from text to graphics mode.  While those games did not scroll.

The real problem with this technique is the garbage on the high res
graphics screen.  As the screen scrolls, the data used to display the
text is used by the VDG to display the graphics. Since the formats of
the data stream are uncompilable between the two Video modes, you will
always have garbage somewhere on the screen.

He can get rid of the screen by not changing the Video mode.  That way
he can use the same data stream format and only change the number of
time the SAM/VDG reads the same scan line's data for scrolling the
screen down.  (Like I used in Desert Rider.)

But still he is just pushing a graphics window up and down and that's a
long way from hardware scrolling.

I can see one way of true scroll game but he is not going to like it
since you will need 24k of screen memory.  That's twice I used in my
CoCo 1/2 games.  One hint, he will need to point to an new screen buffer
after scrolling 16 scan lines or 512 bytes of ram. That's the RAM
boundary of the SAM Video Memory address.

Steve