[Coco] Trying to get a KoKo2 working

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sun Aug 25 15:28:52 EDT 2013

I've been using a draftsman's electric eraser to clean card edge contacts. I've also used it to clean the flex assembly in a GM instrument panel from a 1980s truck (a military M1009 CUCV Blazer, actually... one of my other silly hobbies!). In the latter, it did clean off oxidation nicely, but the edge fingers at the poorly-designed connector began to delaminate. I figure I plugged that connector in for the last time, and when the flex goes bad again it'll probably need to be replaced.

The eraser holds a long 1/4" diameter rod of white eraser, and spins it like a Dremel. It's a lot more aggressive than rubbing by hand with the same type of eraser, so caution is needed.

After polishing off oxidation with the eraser, I've been treating the contacts with non-aerosol Deoxit.

I do not know whether this technique is suitable for the flex assembly in a keyboard, so please use extreme caution and wait for some more opinions to come in. In any case, I suggest using a non-abrasive white eraser only. Ink erasers are too abrasive, and I've heard a rumor that pink erasers are detrimental to electrical contacts.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/