[Coco] Cassette data format

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Sun Aug 25 14:09:53 EDT 2013

Somebody needs to read up on magnetic recording technology.  The
cassette tape system is based on MOVING metal oxidized tape over a coil
head receiver tuned to audio frequencies.  Basically, a coil moving in a
magnetic field.

If the magnetic field was to shift from zero to full flux then you would
get a ringing on the tape with that spike.  Also, the drop in the back
to zero would also ring.  Also, any drop in quality of the metal
oxidized on the tape would change the magnetic flux pickup by the
recording head.  This would be pickup has a error in bit shifting.

But the real problem is the fact all circuits in the AUDIO cassette
record is design for slow changing waveforms.  A square wave would not
come out as a square wave on the other end.   This was the was the
problem with the older computers that used a tape recorder to store the
data.

The CoCo was one of the first "home" computer to use a sine wave to
record the bits.  Because of this, they could jump to a higher bit rate
than the older system.

Since the CoCo was not Tandy's first computer out of the gate, they
could use what they learn to build a better computer.

Using the DAC to create a sine wave for recording to the cassette
improved the overall reliability of the tape storage system.

I don't think you ever worked on a Apple II or TRS-80 Model I/III,
because their "square" wave was a nightmare when it came to making
production tapes.  It took less time to write the program than to get
the cassette duplication house up to full speed.  The square wave format
was that bad.

The CoCo tapes from the duplication houses work the first time.  I don't
know how many times they asked for our "secret" in making the CoCo
master to work so well.  "With the CoCo, they (Tandy) got the tape
system right." is all I could tell them.

Steve